Coming off Prozac

I have been positive for 2 years now and have been prescibed fluoxetine (Prozac) by my GP a year ago, as I was suffering anxiety and depression, partly because of my diagnosis, but also for other reasons.

When I last arranged to collect a repeat prescription, he asked to see me before he gave me the medication. Unfortunately, I was unable to do so and just stopped taking them. This was 2 weeks ago. Since then I have been experiencing almost constant dizziness.

Could this be because I stopped the medication suddenly?

Response from Dr. Horwath

Fluoxetine is a drug that has a very long half-life. This means that if you have taken it for some time and then stop it, the blood level would fall very slowly. For this reason, stopping fluoxetine usually does not cause significant problems. However, you may be particularly sensitive to discontinuing the medication, or you may be experiencing the return of your anxiety or some other problem.

It is probably best to consult you doctor to discuss what to do next.

antidepressants
Can worry cause shingles ?