Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

telling the kids
Mar 14, 2003

I am a fnp-c in a ped practice, two of my patients ages 12 and 14, their mom had AIDS and a secondary brain abscess, we are not sure of her longivity, to get added nursing care she needs to tell her children the truth of her illness. tell them she has aids! help me help her and them... any ideas? they lost their dad 3 years ago due to brain cancer, unrelated to Aids, the kids are HIV negative, tested at 5 and this year. thank you Michele P FNP-C

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I think you need to sit down with this woman and have a very serious conference with her about long term custody planning and the realities of how her decision to not be honest with her children is negatively impacting their best interests and services that the entire family needs. It is a sound bet that she has not done any planning for who should take care of her children in the eventuality that she does die. You need to pitch all of this to her framed in terms of her ability to insure that her children are taken care of in the best way possible and that what she wants for her children will not be guaranteeed unless she plans carefully now.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Therapist in Palm Springs, CA
Next
How safe is Paxil For Children?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.