telling the kids

I am a fnp-c in a ped practice, two of my patients ages 12 and 14, their mom had AIDS and a secondary brain abscess, we are not sure of her longivity, to get added nursing care she needs to tell her children the truth of her illness. tell them she has aids! help me help her and them... any ideas? they lost their dad 3 years ago due to brain cancer, unrelated to Aids, the kids are HIV negative, tested at 5 and this year. thank you Michele P FNP-C

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I think you need to sit down with this woman and have a very serious conference with her about long term custody planning and the realities of how her decision to not be honest with her children is negatively impacting their best interests and services that the entire family needs. It is a sound bet that she has not done any planning for who should take care of her children in the eventuality that she does die. You need to pitch all of this to her framed in terms of her ability to insure that her children are taken care of in the best way possible and that what she wants for her children will not be guaranteeed unless she plans carefully now.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Therapist in Palm Springs, CA
How safe is Paxil For Children?