Deliberate Infection

Dear Experts,

I was infected with HIV several years ago. I am fully aware of the person that deliberately infected me. Because I loved this person more than anything in the world, I never held him accountable for his cruel intention. I've always blamed myself.

Recently, during a conversation with this person and a few other friends, he admitted to all of us that he never disclosed his HIV status to his sex partners. He also told us that it was their problem if they didn't take the necessary precautions to avoid exposure to the virus.

After hearing him basically admit to attempted murder, I felt sick to my stomach and had to leave the conversation. What was even more disturbing was his flippant attitude about the whole thing. Considering that he has been HIV positive for 12+ years now and has always been a very promiscuous person, there's no telling how many hundreds of people he has infected with this terrible virus.

I feel like an accomplice to his inhumane behavior. I feel obligated to do something to stop him from deliberately infecting other innocent people. What do you suggest that I do? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm so glad to have found this website. You people make a world of difference and I'm extremely thankful.

Sincerely, Stop Deliberate Infection

Response from Mr. Shernoff

What you describe is indeed a very sad reality. The person who infected you seems to be sociopathic, amoral or both. Some individuals who have been deliberately infected are legally prosecuting the individual who infected them. This is only possible if you live in a state where there is a law about needing to disclose HIV status to one's sex partners. Bringing legal action against this man may be the only way to stop someone who has such little regard for human suffering or life, and is obviously a public health menace. Short of that I can not think of any other action available to you.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Work place stress
Am I crazy?