Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thank you again (years later)!
Dec 17, 2002

Dear Michael:

I just wanted to thank you again for being so kind.

In 1998 I wrote to your forum a few times....several long letters, all of which you answered. I am an HIV- woman in a relationship with an HIV+ man. Our relationship was fairly new when he was diagnosed. My partner shut himself down emotionally and wouldn't talk about his feelings. He already had problems talking about things, and the HIV diagnosis made this even worse. I felt as if his attitude was stifling and silencing me. I felt very isolated. And I had so many emotions bottled up inside, all of which came streaming out in my emails to your forum.

My partner and I are both doing very well, and much of it has to do with you. Your answers helped to give me the strength to assert my need for communication and to make him accountable for his own feelings and reactions. He listened, he understood and was willing to make a change. He was then able to open up about his feelings regarding HIV, and this brought us closer. Once this wall was down, it was possible to feel more like a normal couple with normal issues. The HIV stopped seeming like such a huge thing. A couple of years later we had several sessions with a counsellor to fine-tune our ways of communicating (nothing to do with HIV) and to further understand some of the triggers from both of our pasts.

We have been together six years and have a very strong and loving relationship - as well as a wonderful friendship - with each other. My partner is very healthy, and has never had any HIV or AIDS related illness. HIV has become pretty much a "non-issue" in our lives.

I want to thank you once again for being there when I needed someone to talk to, and for being so kind, gentle and supportive.

I hope you continue to enjoy good health as well as much happiness in your life.

Sincerely,

S.D.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Thank you for your lovely feedback. It is always welcome to hear how things turn out. Enjoy the holdiays.

Warmly,

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Im NOT Surpose To Know My Freind Has HIV!!!!
Next
Wierd Neuro Phenonmonum

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.