Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

transexualism
Nov 4, 2002

hi, micheal, i was once your student a few years ago. i think you gave me an A(SMILE). however a few years ago (5) i feel in love and let a man who said we'd be together forever infect me.I,m finally getting ready to have my dream come true and am about to get my SRS in thailand this summer. I'm also going to get breast implants. But is this going to kill me any faster than i'm already going? to be honest i feel i'd rather be dead than not go ahead w/ the surg. I,ve already been castrated w/ no noticeable side-effects

Response from Mr. Shernoff

The question you ask about whether SRS will kill you faster than you are "already going" concerens me because it shows how you feel about having HIV. It sounds like you have not made the necessary psychological and emotional adjustments for learning how to live with HIV instead of thinking that you are dying from AIDS. This mental head set is crucial for all people living with HIV to make in order to have a reasonable quality of life. I find this a very serious problem for anyone, but especially someone going through the major life changing processes of sexual reassignment surgery.

Since I am not a doctor I really do not have any knowledge about what effects if any SRS has on the body's immune system, on progression of HIV disease or how any of the hormones that you will need to take might interact with any antiretroviral therapy you may be taking. I think that you really need to discuss these important concerns with qualified medical professionals.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Telling Parents About Sick Son
Next
Help me to understand why this happened!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.