Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

help
Oct 13, 2002

plz reply to my question quickly thanks here we go I work as a nurse in communicable diseases I was working on this file of a pt who is both HIV and Hep B positive. It turned out that the file I was working on belong to a friend of mine I know this person very well, he is my husband best firend and we both come from the same country Ethiopia. this person refused any kind of help from both HIV and Hep B services. I don't know what to do I am known this information for couple of months I did not tell my husband or any other person But i really want to help this person aleast help him understand the risk he is taking by not taking any drug therapy. help what should I do.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

While I understand your concerns, you discohered this information in your capactiy as a nurse. The information was confidential. This means that despite your wanting to help, you have a legal obligation not to say anything. Additionally since you discovered this information doing routine professional responsibilites you have a moral obligation to behave as if you never discoverd this information. I know how difficult this is, but you have no other choice but to respect his decision not to particpate in any medical intervention.

MIchael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
residual toxo or losing my mind/
Next
Zoloft/ADC

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.