Sustiva with pre-existing mental illness?

I am soon to start on HIV meds for the first time. CD4's at 340, viral load of 40,000. I had wanted to take Sustiva, Epivir, and either Viread or Retrovir. My question pertains to the Sustiva. I have chronic, recurring depression and anxiety, maybe type II bipolar. Might I be OK giving Sustiva a try, with all it's possible CNS and psychiatric side-effects? If I'm already regularly depressed with frequent suicidal ideation. Can Sustiva make this worse? Or if I already am used to dealing with depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety, dizziness, neuropathy, short-term memory impairment, do I already have the capacity to deal with anything Sustiva might deal me?

Thank you for your help!

Response from Mr. Shernoff

This is a very important question you raise. I urge you to thoroughly discuss it with your primary care doctor as well as with your psychiatrist if you are on anti-depressant medications. In fact I strongly suggest that you ask your psychiatrist and primary care doctor to consult and talk about this as well.

Sustiva can casue terrible dreams and can certainly exacerbate a preexisting depression. Therefore it is not the best choice of an antiretroviral for an individual with a diagnosis of depression. With there being so many other antiretrovirals that do not have depression and other CNS side effects, when my patients who are already depressed raise this question I encourage them not to begin sustiva.

You are very smart to question this choice of a drug regimen before beginning it. The last thing you need is anything to make your depression worse and to destabilize your mental health.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Cybersex: Addictive or what?
residual toxo or losing my mind/