depression

Can hiv infection itself cause depression.I don't mean the usual being depressed because you have a chronic, life threatening virus thing but i mean from a virus attacking the brain receptor theory? a good friend of mine was told that the virus ate up the seratonin in the brain.Is this possible?What about other brain chemicals.Any research on this?Thank you

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I have never heard about HIV "eating up the seratonin." But HIV can definitely live in cells in the central nervous system and affect an infected individual's mental status, moods and functioning.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

The Haunting
psych meds and hiv and hep c