decisions

Hi Doctor, it was so nice to read your reply to my questions regarding final stages and whether to move. I agree with you that shifting house is very stressful and requires some forward thinking. My problem is: my current home is near a highway and is very noisy and the air is full of exhaust fumes and I believe this combination makes it difficult to sleep and is not the best for my health. The new property is in a quieter location, so I was thinking of it more as a better place to be if you are unwell. A better place to die. I hope you can understand what I am saying, I have trouble expressing myself clearly. I am very fatigued. I guess what I'm trying to say is I find the idea of shifting overwhelming at this stage of my illness, but I believe it would be nicer to spend the last of your days in a quiet environment. It's hard to think with all this traffic noise. I've heard different ideas about this situation. I have heard that some people prefer to be able to hear life going on around them when they don't have much life of their own. I can honestly say I don't know what is best for me. As I get sicker and more house bound will the noise worry me more or less? I wish so much that I could make the right decision. I value your advice as you seem very thoughtful and practical.

Mu current home seems fine apart from the traffic. One of my pleasures was thinking, but with traffic roaring past I find it difficult. Try sitting on the side of a busy highway and see if you become inspired!!

Thankyou for helping,

Sarah

Response from Mr. Shernoff

Dear Sarah,

It sounds like you have really thought through the advantages of moving rather than staying in your current home, and that the location of where you now live severely reduces your pleasure in being there as well as inteferes with your sleep and rest. If you have the emotional resources to make this move and if necessary the financial ones to pay to have people do all of the packing, unpacking and to assist you with aspects of this project that are unmanageable for you, it sounds like moving wii greatly enhance the quality of your life so that you can have the serenity you seek to enjoy how ever much time you have left. I hope that this is helpful.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Do facts/details get in the way?
Future Plans