HAVING CHILDEREN

I AM HIV POZ SENCE 1989 I HAVE BEEN VERY HEALTHY NO PROBLEMS I AM GETTING MARRIED NEXT MONTH AND WE BOTH WOULD LIKE TO HAVE CHILDEREN OF OWER OWN HELL IF IVE MADE IT 13 YEARS WITH OUT ANY PROBLEMS?? SHE HAS BEEN POZ FOR 2 YEARS IS THERE ANY WAY WE COULD GIVE LIFE???? DAVID

Response from Mr. Shernoff

This is a very important question with alot of interest to other readers as well. But since I am not a doctor I am not qualified to respond to it. Thus I am referring your question to one of the medical professionals at The Body who is an expert on women and children with HIV. Go to the forum on Women and children to see Dr. Sullivan's response. Michael Shernoff, MSW

Response from Dr. Sullivan

Assuming your fiance is HIV positive and is not at risk for becoming HIV infected this is a reasonable question; you will always have a risk of transmitting HIV to your infant although that risk could be minimized to less than 1% if your HIV viral load was less than 50 copies/ml throughout pregnancy and delivery.JLS.

no desire
Strength to fight