Electric shock therapy

Do you think that Electric Shock Therapy would work for depression which I guess is related to HIV.. I have been serioulsy depressed now for about two years, with loss of feelings toward things that used to make me happy. My body is fine my counts are good. BUt this deppression is making life really unbearable.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

If you are not already under the care of a mental health professional that is where you need to begin. ECT, or shock therapy for short, is one treatment for depressions that have resisted all other forms of treatment. This means that unless you have tried all the available antidepressants and talk therapy, there is not a reputable individual who is worth his or her license who would or should suggest ECT. But if you have been under the care of a licensed mental health professional who is knowledgeable about HIV related neuropsychaitic disorders, and none of the antidepressdants have ever worked for you in relieving your symptoms then exploring ECT is definitely an option to be considered to treat your depression. Michael Shernoff, MSW

Is rage a defense mechanism?
getting help