Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Things DO Work Out
Apr 13, 2002

On March 25, I sent a question asking about telling children. You answered and in one case (my oldest child) I followed your advice. In the other, I didn't because I thought she was too young. However, she overheard her father yelling at me about "dying of AIDS" when I was unaware she was on the other line of the phone. When she asked the questions, through tears, I told her the truth and we had a long talk about it. I answered all her questions as honestly as I could and told the truth when I just didn't know. I just wanted to let you know that honesty in my situation really was the best policy and the children have been more loving and supportive than ever now that they know the truth. There was no rejection whatsoever and both children expressed that they would always love me no matter what. This really made me feel much better about myself and I believe it strengthened our relationship as a family. I am so grateful for your advice and I hope this may help some other Mom who is suffering the torments of keeping a secret to open up to the ones who will always love her unconditionally. It's a liberating feeling!

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I am really happy but not at all surprised to learn about how your being honest with your children about your HIV status turned out. It is a lesson for families about how to deal with all important issues with their children.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
confused and longing
Next
Please help me

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.