Things DO Work Out

On March 25, I sent a question asking about telling children. You answered and in one case (my oldest child) I followed your advice. In the other, I didn't because I thought she was too young. However, she overheard her father yelling at me about "dying of AIDS" when I was unaware she was on the other line of the phone. When she asked the questions, through tears, I told her the truth and we had a long talk about it. I answered all her questions as honestly as I could and told the truth when I just didn't know. I just wanted to let you know that honesty in my situation really was the best policy and the children have been more loving and supportive than ever now that they know the truth. There was no rejection whatsoever and both children expressed that they would always love me no matter what. This really made me feel much better about myself and I believe it strengthened our relationship as a family. I am so grateful for your advice and I hope this may help some other Mom who is suffering the torments of keeping a secret to open up to the ones who will always love her unconditionally. It's a liberating feeling!

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I am really happy but not at all surprised to learn about how your being honest with your children about your HIV status turned out. It is a lesson for families about how to deal with all important issues with their children.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

confused and longing
Please help me