Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Emotional Hell (Please Answer)
Feb 21, 2001

I am married and recently had an encounter with a female stripper (oral/vaginal sex for a few seconds). Since this places me at risk I have been emotionally drained with guilt, fear, and anxiety. I have turned into a hypochondriac. I told my wife about it and she is ready to forgive me and move on, but I cannot until I have medical assurance that I am OK. Unfortunately, there are 3 diseases (HIV, Herpes, HPV) that cannot be diagnosed until months after exposure. I tested HIV negative at 8 weeks and a HIV PCR was negative at 30 days. Others on this forum have stated that these test results makes HIV infection unlikely, but not impossible. This has made me feel MUCH better, but I still worry. I think I am rebounding, but I still obsess about my health. My anxiety and stress was so bad I had skin rashes, headaches, insomnia, and I lost 10 lbs in the process due to lack of appetite. Of course I blamed all this on acute HIV syndrome. I am trying to get better, but I wont be able to until I can be reassured through blood tests that I am OK. I know that my guilt is driving most of this, but I can't help it. The thought that I may have contracted HIV/Herpes/HPV through one act of stupidity is too much for me to contemplate. I have thought about counseling but haven't done it yet. What do you recommend?

Response from Mr. Shernoff

You already know that I am going to tell you to call a mental health professional today to begin to deal with your fears. The only question to ask yourself is why have you not already done so? Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Lonely in Ft. Lauderdale
Next
Depression?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.