Causes of memory loss

What are the causes of HIV-related memory loss? I am not talking about dementia - only short-term memory loss and forgetfulness. My doctor tells me it is merely caused by stress and anxiety, but I find that hard to believe. Others in my support group complain of the same problem, and I would like to find some written proof that this is not all in our heads.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I am afraid that I will not be able to be of much help to you. While I have occasionally heard individuals complain of some short term memory loss I do not know what would casue this. Also I have never read any scientific papers that puport to have a definitive specific cause of HIV related memory loss. I am sorry that I can not be of more help to you. Michael Shernoff, MSW

Response from Dr. Bartlett

I hear many of my patients complaining about memory loss. It is a complicated issue, and could be due to any of numerous factors. Outside of HIV-related dementia, the possibilities can include depression, anxiety, and the side effects of numerous medications. These can be very difficult to sort out.

How does Haldol interact with HIV drugs?
What should I be doing with my life?