Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Could my depression be related to autonomal neuropathy?
Mar 14, 2002

I have a 10 year history of worstening peripheral neuropathy related to HIV. I now have symptoms relating to autonomic functions - difficulty in swallowing & urinating and I am also regurgitating undigested food. I have now been diagnosed with severe clinical depression and anxiety - for which I have been unsucessfuly medicated for 7 months. I cannot think of an immediate cause for my depression. My T-Cell count is very good, I am on no Hiv medications, I have been diagnosed for 17 years and came to terms with this many years ago. Nothing has changed in my immediate environment or relationships and I am not worrying unduly about new symptoms or pain. I have recently been screened by CT for dementia or other causative factors and am clear. Given all of these factors could my depression be directly related to the effects of neuropathy on my nervous system? (ie. medical rather than psychological.) I have asked my clinicians and mental health carers and they simply do not have the information.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I also do not have the answer to your question. Anything is possible. HIV related CNS involvement does not always show up on scans and can certainly cause symptoms of depression and/or anxiety. I apologize for not being able to shed more light on your condition.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Lost for words
Next
Manic Depressive, Positive, and Methamphetamine Self-medicated

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.