Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

OKGuy
Mar 10, 2002

I was diagnosed HIV+ in Feb. 2001. I have gone through various stages of depression etc. since that time. Basically, however, I feel paralyzed in my professional, social, and emotional life and cannot seem to get myself motivated to go on. A major contributing factor to this depression, also, is that my brother was murdered in Aug. 2000, and my family and I moved back to our hometown in a small rural area. It is imperative that I pull myself out of this "funk" not only for my own self, but my wife and my children. We have one biological son, and 2 adopted. The adoption was also a long 5 year, draining process that was just finalized before all this "stuff" happened. I feel that I would be dealing with this better if I were; (1) in a metro area. (2) exercising. (3) my professional life was in order. Basically, I feel drained over the whole thing, compounded by financial, professional concerns, and emotional concerns that I desire bi-sexual relationships. Please advise how I can get started to make progress in my life toward being a more "whole" & "well" person? Thanks.

Response from Mr. Shernoff

It sounds like you are understandably very depressed and as a result are feeling stuck in your life. The only way out is to do the emotional and psychological work on becoming unstuck. That means seeing a well trained mental health professional and beginning psychotherapy that will very likely include taking antidepressant medication. From your e mail it sounds that you are seeking simple advice on what steps you should take to regain control of your life. The only simple step is to begin the arduous process of speaking on a regular basis with an objective psychotherapist who will work with you to figure out how you can begin to take the steps you feel are necessary to improve your life. I urge you to start seeking such professional help immediately.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
I am scared and confused
Next
Lost for words

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.