Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dilemma - To test or not to test ?
Dec 29, 2000

Hi ! I consider myself as someone who belongs to the 'worried well' group of people. For the past few years I have been paranoid about getting infected with HIV. The most recent ( started 2 years ago ! ) thing that sparked my worry was about me using a shared nail clipper ( with someone who frequents prostitutes ) to pick my healing scabs ( you may have read about this before, I have been sending this question many times ). However, Now I have a dilemma. if I get tested, and find myself negative, my anxiety will be erased forever, and I can live in peace. But the problem is, I MIGHT be positive, and if I am, I rather not know ! You see, I am a college student, with few more years to go. If I am diagnosed with HIV, I might have to stop college . I cannot afford to go to college due to the medical bills I might have to pay. Also, my family will surely not let me continue and even if they let me, I don't think I would be in shape to do it. Besides, I am studying medicine and that might be a problem with the college who might not let me continue ( I am not in US, its probably different there ). But then again, the anxiety is killing me ! What should I do ? Should I get tested or not ? A negative test would be big relieve but a + one would be a disaster ! Its better not knowing ! Do I neet a blood test or do I need mental therapy ? Please advice me on what to do !

Response from Mr. Shernoff

I would suggest that you start with psychotherapy to deal with your irrational obsessions with very minor risks.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
what can we do for family member that is HIV and is in denial
Next
unipolar depression

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.