Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Mental Health and HIVMental Health and HIV

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

good days and bad days
Dec 27, 2001

Hello Michael thank you for answering my letter. I just wanted to ask you how long will it take for me to forgive myself for getting infected. I feel like I'm paying for all the bad sh-- i've done in the past, I know we all make mistakes. I try to keep an open mind and be a little more optimistic, but I have my days that all I want to do is crawl in a hole and die. Other days I smile like nothing is wrong. Reality is I'm all emotionally screwed up.I have to admit one load I need to get off is telling the people that love me that I am positive.I am positive but I'm still me. I'm so scared of rejection that will hurt me the most. In a nut shell I know I do not need to stress I can't afford too,but having someone in my corner will make me have better days. t.y for listening

Response from Mr. Shernoff

There is no way to tell how long it will take you to forgive yourself for having gotten infected. Each person is different. I am glad that you found my response to your previous e mail helpful. But I can not be the only person who is in your corner. You really do need to get into an AIDS support group where you will be able to meet and talk with other infected people. Chances are that at least some of them have gone through or are going through similar things as you are.

Additionally, speaking to a mental health professional who is experienced in working with people with HIV and AIDS will also be enormously helpful to you in working through all the complicated issues that you are now dealing with. Please act on both of these suggestions soon.

Michael Shernoff, MSW

Previous
Trouble with AIDS Service Organization
Next
i give up...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.