Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

I give up !!

I assume by the fact that my question about statistics on survival rate is never answered, that the medical profession does not really have a clue and nobody is even prepared to stick there neck out and give an opinion. It seems someones ability to get a hard on is more important on this site. I live in South Africa where there is little suppport, I had hoped you might be better. I find it impossible to believe that there are no statictics available on survival rates etc, I know nothing can be definite but some idea would help people to plan their lives instead of just sitting in the dark while the "experts" give constantly differing views on the chances of long term survival. Had I listened to the first Doctor I should be dead 2 years ago. Thanks for ignoring my question 3 times. If there really are NO statistics or information available on the average survival time of hiv sufferers either with access to drugs or without, then the medical profession clearly is NOT doing its job and is still stumbling around in the dark!!

Sorry about the delay of response to your question. I am more sorry about your anger about your situation and our forum, but we recieve many questions daily...

I do sympathisize with the situation of the many millions of persons infected with HIV in Southern Africa and hope that you don't perceive a delay in answering your question as a rebuke of your many countrymen and women.

Let me see if I can address some of your concerns:

There are many data about the survival rates and changes in survival among persons with HIV. These data are derived mostly from the Northern hemisphere. (This is not a "Northern" conspiracy, just where the research was conducted).

Remember that statistics refer to whole populations of persons, the average experience is bracketed by 50% of persons with shorter- or longer-survival.

With that said, we know from several natural history studies (for example, the MACS cohort), that the average AIDS-free survival from initial infection is around 8- to 10-years. The duration of survival with AIDS in this and other studies is about 3 years.

If you require demographical references, try the following sites: http://www.thebody.com/niaid/hiv_stat.html

I hope that you find this helpful. Good luck. BY

Stopping Trizivir after 3 months
Waiting in vain: