Is is this possible?

Dr Boyle,is it possible that we could have an alternitive delivery system used for combination thearpy? I mean something like the Norplant. I know it would not work until you were sure that the combo that you were on was working. But say once you had you VL down to below 50 and your CD4's were up, could it be possible? Is anyone working on it? Also is it possible to get HIV meds to work like the new prozac weekly? I mean could we end up with a weekly verson of HIV meds?

Response from Dr. Boyle

Yes, there are companies trying to develop alternative methods of drug delivery (but it is likely to be some time before any become available) and drugs with very long half-lives or special formulations that allow for decreased frequency of taking. We are not quite to once weekly (although a non-nucleoside in development by BMS has a half-life of almost 4 days), but we are certainly getting to once daily, and we now have 3 drugs that are approved for once daily use, others that look like they can be used once daily, and others that are being developed or modified to be once daily. So we're getting closer to what you are talking about, but we have a long way to go.

Invirase-Fortovase
want info on cd4 lifespan under HAART treatment.