Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Chronic??

In your opinion with the technology today, and available meds and continous promise do you think that this disease is yet considered a chronic disease? I know in under-developed countries they don't have the same resources, but in developed countries. After all diabetes is a chronic disease and although it can be controlled to most extents people still die from it every year. Please respond.

In my opinion, HIV infection, managed correctly, can be a chronic disease. It is my hope and expectation, that many newly diagnosed persons may be able to live near-normal life expectancy. Understand that this statement is conjecture, as we have only had potent combination HIV therapy for about 5 years.

This statement does not imply that the disease is not serious, nor life-threatening. Nor does this mean that everyone can reap the benefits of therapy.

It is also important to recognize that many persons who have drug-resistant virus may not be able to have the sustained benefits of therapy, as treatment for drug-resistant HIV is not a sucessful as treatment susceptible virus.

15 and scared
Good job Dr Young!