Drug time

Dear doctor,

If I had to take my drug at 5 am, but I forgot ..then I take it at 6 am, will this affect the treatment? and if this happened shall I continue the other next drug according to first timing or the second timing for the same day?? and what about the other days now, shall I stick to 5 am or the 6 am? many thanks

Response from Dr. Pavia

Questions about timing are pretty frequent. It depends to some degree what drug you are on. Crixivan needs to be taken pretty regularly at close to every 8 hours. Most of the others are tolerant of an hour or two of lack of precision.

So, without knowing what you are on, let me give you some general advice. If you normally take your pills at 5AM and 5PM, but end up taking it at 7 AM, I would try and get back to your schedule smoothly. In that case, I would take the evening dose at 6 PM (11 hours) and then get back on your schedule the next day at 5 AM (11 hours).

The most important thing is that you take all of your doses. If you are an hour or 3 late on occasion, it is unlikely to make a big difference, especially with drugs like nevirapine, sustiva, zerit, ziagen and epivir.

Keep up the good work

ATP

Andrew T. Pavia, M.D.

mantoux test false positive readings
Chance of becoming