Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Are we all Guessing?

Dear Docs,

The answers for the same questions by different doctors in this forum is different. Don't we have some standard data that we can refer to? Are we all guesssing?

I heard some docs here saying HIV is now like diebetes or hyper tension and some saying we don't know how long can we prolong the life of PWA. Why do we have such conflicting answers?

Seems to me, we are as uncertain as people who say HIV do not cause AIDS.

Thank you for your question.

I am not sure if I see any conflict between the statement that HIV disease is similar to hypertension or diabetes and the statement that we don't know how long we can prolong the lives of PWAs. The former statement has become the living reality for many persons with HIV in the developed world. Since we have only had potent combination therapies for 5 or 6 years, anyone who says that they know what will happen in 20 or 30 years is only a forecaster.

Nevertheless, we know that many persons are living healthy with HIV where they would have died from HIV/AIDS in years past. Death rates and complication rates are markedly reduced. However inaccurate, life expectancy is much longer than the 8-10 years that we saw in the pre-HAART era. Certainty is always relative when one is talking about the future. BY

fast progressor?
p24?