Question about Real Simple Meds

I noticed that BMS was soon going to have a once a day PI soon, like in a year. Could they combine that with other HIV drugs they make and put them all together in say one or two tablets taken once a day ? What is the current status of Intergase inhibitors? I here the company that has them has been bought out and was wondering if that was going to affect them being available? When do you think we might see the first one out? Also could HIV drugs be given in a form like Norplant, the female contraceptive that they implant under the arm. That would be really simple!

Response from Dr. Boyle

I think the first step for atazanavir (BMS 232632) is to get it approved. I doubt that they will attempt to combine it with their other antiretrovirals and, in fact, it can't be given with Videx (didanosine) since Videx must be taken on an empty stomach and atazanavir with food. Integrase inhibitors are a ways off, probably 2 to 3 years away, at least. They are slowly, but surely, making their way through the approval process. Alternative delivery systems are also being explored but it will be quite awhile.

STI/SIT
Adding Ritonavir to my regimen