Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Asymptomatic and no treatment after 12 years
Sep 23, 1997

I am HIV+ for 12 years and have never had any complications from AIDS. I take no antiviral treatment or any other therapy or care for my HIV. I am tested every 3-6 months and consistently have a CD-4 count of around 550 and a viral load around 25,000. I remain healthy and active. How rare is this?

Response from Dr. Cohen

It's not particularly rare. The average time from infection to AIDS (in untreated patients) is about 10 years. That means that half of people will take longer than that.

I would imagine that your viral load has gone up recently. If it had been 25,000 all that time your CD4 count would not have been so stable. The fact that it is 25,000 means that without treatment, your CD4 count is likely to begin declining. Although there's certainly no emergency, this might be a good time to think about starting therapy.

Previous
How long to live?
Next
Symptons

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.