Caught between 2 opinions

First of all thank you for your website. I have been on a treatment of Sustiva and Crixivan for five years. T-cells are 700, VL has been undetectable for four years. I relocated to a new city and met with a new doctor who suggests that I change this combination to just Combivir. I was very excited to think of not dealing with the side effects of the Sustiva (Depression, lack of concentration, still to this day.) My former doctor feels strongly against such a drastic and less potent change. Would it be unwise to ease up on the potency of the medications, just to give my body a rest? I have tolerated crixivan pretty well (no kidney stones yet), should I just switch out the Sustiva? I don't know what opinion to go with?!?!

Thanks for your question.

I hope that I am understanding your question. Your doctor is suggesting switching from EFV/IDV to just Combivir (ZDV/3TC)?

This would be highly unrecommended. There is substantial data that says that dual nucleoside therapies are typically not potent enough to keep virus suppressed (see the ACTG 343 clinical trial, for example).

It might be reasonable to use Combivir in place of either efavirenz or indinavir, but not both.

Another alternative (that does have clinical trials support) would be to switch to Trizivr (ZDV/3TC/abacavir) in place of your current regimen.

I would advise you to clarify your doctor's opinion before making the proposed switch. BY

Re: ADDING 1 REGIME
Late treatment