Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Newly Infected

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

I just found out that I was infected a month ago. Though my CD4 is 443/24 and my viral load is 14,418, I have had some swollen lymph nodes and have been feeling tired. Should I be concerned at this point? What are the new treatment strategies for those newly infected? Also, does being a vegetarian help?

Thank you for your question.

During acute infection (or the months that follow), it is not uncommon to have swollen lymph nodes and fatigue. From what you describe, these findings do not seem to be of any particular concern. If you have acute HIV infection (this can be determined using a detuned Western blot test), I would strongly encourage you to seek treatment evaluations(either in clinical trials or with your doctor). In this acute period, early treatment appears to dramatically preserve immune function and possibly minimize the possibility of drug resistance. Treatment strategies are largely similar to those recommended for established infection (three or more drugs), though some offer more aggressive treatments (as offered in the ACTG currently).

If, on the other hand, you do not have acute HIV infection, then one could say that you have mildly symptomatic disease and moderately advanced CD4 cell depletion. A case could also be made to consider starting therapy at this point.

Hope this is helpful, BY

starting and stopping Spornox
safe to not use meds??