To switch or not to switch???

My ID doctor recently suggested the I could switch from 3TC,d4T,Acabivir to Trizivir bid. At present my VL is undecetable and has been for almost 2 years now and my CD4 is presently at 1550 and has been there since the start of HAART. I orginally started therapy in the Merck trial for once-a-day Crix(800mg bid) dosing w/a Norvir (100mg bid)booster along with the 3TC and the d4T. I feel lucky because my CD4 has always been quite high adn my VL dropped by leaps and bounds once I startd therapy. I guess my question is am I just running out of options by swithching drugs for the sake of trying new combinations (don't get me wrong 1 pill bid is an excellent choice for simplification of treatment), but is it jumping the gun for hte sake of expermintation? Ray W--Kentucky

Response from Dr. Boyle

If you are tolerating the medications well, not having any problems with the dosing schedule or pill number, and have not experienced any potential toxicities, I would not change the regimen. Under these circumstances, I believe that "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Also, changing from Zerit (stavudine, d4T) to Retrovir (zidovudine, AZT) may lead to new side effects and problems (for example, nausea/vomiting, etc.) that may affect your adherence and overall quality of life.

Medicines X viral load
Treatment Options