COMMENCING HAART TO A CHILD

I would like to start with HAART to a child who is 5 years old. Could you please give me some information regarding dosing and so on?

Response from Dr. Pavia

Treatment of children is quite complex and there are issues which are different from adults. Five year olds usually can't take pills, liquids may taste bad, yet adherence is key. Dosing guidelines are available in the guidelines for pediatric therapy at hivatis.org. However, for the protease inhibitors, there is huge variation in the levels achieved in children at standard doses and I am now using TDM in children, despite the limitations in our knowledge.

If you are someone who does not routinely treat children with HAART, it is really best if you can send the child to a pediatric aids specialist for an initial visit, even if you are going to take over the care after that.

Good luck

ATP

A cure for HIV infection and AIDS
Re: St Johns Wort with Wellbutrin