For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

twice a day but when

Hi. I'm taking Combivir and Viramune twice a day. I've been on this successfully for 5 years. Initially, I took the meds in the morning and at bedtime but then I switched to every 12 hours (10 am/10 pm). Going back to my old schedule (e.g., 7 am/10 pm) would be easier). Do I need to take the meds as close to 12 hours apart as possible?

Response from Dr. Boyle

Yes, you should try to take them as close to every 12 hours as you can. While Viramune (nevirapine) and Epivir (lamivudine) have some evidence to support once daily dosing, the way you are currently taking the doses (splitting them) and the fact that Retrovir (zidovudine, AZT) has a relatively short half-life, it is important that you stick to every 12 hours.

Just thinking, what if?
Is this true