Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Timeline of Chronic Infection Progression - DR

Six weeks ago I was tested positive with a CD4 count of 400 and a viral load of 19750. I believe that I might have had primary symptoms of infection 18 months ago. However, from graphical data I have seen it would appear possible that my CD4/viral data indicate an infection of possibly 4+ years. Can you give me some indication of which it likely to be the case. This is of particular importance in regard to which past partners I inform. Also, can you indicate a definitive source for timeline information.

Response from Dr. Gallant

There's really no way to gauge the time of infection using either CD4 count or viral load. If you look at large cohorts of infected people you can come up with averages, but there is so much variability that tyring to apply those averages to a single individual would be meaningless.

JG

Long-term survivors - diagnosis of HIV
CLARIFICATION PLEASE