Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RESPONSE TO IS DEATH INEVITABLE?
Dec 28, 1998

WHEN YOU SAY "YES. A REMINDER YOU KNOW THAT OF COURSE DEATH IS INEVITABLE. THE QUESTION IS HOW NOT IF." ARE YOU SAYING THAT ALL PEOPLE WHO HAVE HIV/AIDS WILL MOST SURELY DIE? OR ARE YOU SAYING THAT DEATH IS INEVITABLE FOR EVERYONE? PLEASE EXPLAIN BECAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE SAYING THAT EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE ON MEDS EVENTUALLY THE MEDS ARE NOT GOING TO WORK AND ALL WILL DIE INEVITABLY. I'M VERY OPTIMISTIC AND I BELIEVE THAT NO MATTER WHAT THE ILLNESS YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DIE BEFORE YOUR TIME SO DEATH MAY BE 1 DAY FROM NOW OR 60 YEARS FROM NOW I DEPEND ON GOD AND I BELIEVE THAT ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE WITH HIM NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCE. I THINK YOU NEED TO MAKE YOURSELF UNDERSTOOD, IMAGINE WHAT PEOPLE THINK WHO HAVE HIV/AIDS. AND NO I DON'T HAVE IT BUT A FAMILY MEMBER DOES AND I REFUSE TO BELEIVE ANYTHING NEGATIVE AND YOUR RESPONSE SOUNDS NEGATIVE TO ME AND ITS NOT DENIAL. I BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF GOD.

Response from Dr. Cohen

Wow. Let me be clearer. And sorry for any confusion.

We don't know for sure, but it is reasonable to consider, based on the optimism and tremendous advances made in these past years, to hope for and believe that some people who have HIV infection may live a longer and healthier life than ever before. And it is possible that at least some will have a 'normal' life span despite HIV infection.

I don't want to confuse these issues - every living thing will die. Somehow, someday. So the question is not if, but of what each of us goes from. Hopefully, for some who have HIV infection, it will be rendered so unimportant by effective treatment, that HIV will for some have no influence on when or how death occurs.

Hope that is clearer. CC

Previous
Any true factors of HIV progression
Next
Relationship between sleep and HIV progression

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.