med addhearence

i have been on the hart program for one year , i have had great responce , my numbers are good cd4 ct 564 vl undetectible , my question is i went away for a week and took all my meds (epiver , zerit) i forgot my sustiva is this going to set me back at all , it was a stupid mistake , i have never missed a dose in the entire year i have been on this program. i would love to hear from any of you to put my mind at ease, thanks bob

Response from Dr. Pavia

Dear Bob,

You can't predict whether one mistake will set you back. If you check your viral load about one month after getting back on everything you will see if you got away with it. Hopefully, you will still be suppressed.

An important rule of thumb for everyone if you run of or forget part of your regimen is to stop all drugs at once. If the virus is exposed to your drugs one at a time or two at a time, it has a better chance of selecting for resistance than if you are off everything. Of course, drugs like Sustiva with a long half life mess things up. If you are on Zerit Epiver and Sustiva and you stop everything at once, the Zerit and epivir will be gone in 12-24 hours, but the Sustiva hangs around for several days. This creates a situation akin to taking Sustiva by itself. It may be better when you stop that combo to take the Zerit and Epivir for 24 hours after you stop the Sustiva, but this has not been proven. Good luck

ATP

Merck Phase III
My MD suggests dropping PI