travelling & meds

hallo dr.Pavia thanks in advance for your answer,i,m hiv + now on Viracept+combivir, i have to travel and my drug time would be 6 hrs different from the original time,is it accectable to anticipate the doses by 6 hrs, both coming and going, because i don't want to be late,(it's hard for me to organize a gradual hourly change over the course of a week)thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Pavia

There are two ways to answer your question. One is the strict science, and the other is based on what we know occurs clinically.

Speaking strictly on the pharmacology, Viracept is close to the minimal trough level at 12 hours in many people. Most will still have acceptable levels for another 2-4 hours but 6 hours might be too long. On the other hand, moving things up 6 hours will be safe, since higher levels appear to be totally safe. So, if you can move things up rather than later, you should be fine.

The practical answer is that if you are compulsive all the time and don't miss any doses, one dose 6 hours late is unlikely to make any difference. Based on this you shouldn't sweat it.

You mention anticipating the doses by 6 hours, which I take as meaning you will take them 6 hours early to stay on schedule. This is the approach I would choose. You might get a little diarrhea, so bring some immodium. Otherwise, it sounds like a great approach. Bon voyage

ATP

Norvir/Fortovase Dosage Seems Low
AN HIV SPECIALIST?