Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Norvir/Fortovase Dosage Seems Low
Jul 28, 2001

Thank you for taking my question! I've looked through the archives, and can't seem to find what I'm looking for...

Basic info: 30 y/o. Positive since 1/97. Last test, CD4 = 260, viral load 55K. Lowest its been CD4 = 120. = somewhere in 20s. Highest my CD4 has been = 305.

I've been on a couple of different regimens, but never for very long. I started with the standard 3x a day Crixivan+combivir schedule, then went to a twice daily Norvir+Crixivan+combivir schedule, and then went to a Viracept+zerit+azt schedule.

My compliance started slipping on the Norvir/Crix combo, when Abbott recalled the capsules a couple years ago and only offered liquid. That's why I switched to Viracept. I wasn't that compliant on that combination either (I was in the throws of active addiction, and was really bottoming out).

Last summer, I went to rehab, and they took me off my meds until I was able to get my life back together. Even off my meds, my CD4 count went up to 305 (my highest yet) because I was clean. This didn't last though, and on the last test I had, my CD4 went down to 260, and my viral load went up from 50K to 55K. My doctor recommended I get back on meds, and this past May, I finally decided I was ready, and my doctor put me on my current regimen:

two capsules of Norvir, two capsules of Fortovase, and one capsule of Trizivir.

Is this dosage good enough?

Steve D.

Response from Dr. Aberg

The usual dosage of norvir (ritonavir, RTV) and fortovase (saquinavir soft gel, SQV) is 400 mg norvir and 400 mg fortovase twice a day. Norvir comes in 100 mg capsules so that would be 4 capsules and Fortovase comes in 200 mg capsules so that would be 2 capsules. The trizivir is a combination of 3 drugs (AZT, 3TC and abacavir) and is taken two times a day. Check with your pharmacist and doctor about the dosing of your medicines. It is very important that you are taking the correct dose. You should always ask your doctor and/or pharmacist about your medications to make sure you are on what you are suppose to be taking. Sometimes medication dosages have to be modified (changed) because of drug interactions, body weight or underlying conditions such as liver or kidney disease. Do not ever change a dose without your doctor telling you to. You may be on a different dose for reasons I just mentioned.

Also given you have been on different protease inhibitors in the past, you may have resistance to either norvir or fortovase or both. If your viral load does not significantly drop in the next few weeks, you may want to talk to your doctor about getting a genotype to check for resistant virus

Previous
Kaletra and tenofovir
Next
travelling & meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.