which one suposed to be my nadir ??

Dear dr young, I found out i was hiv + 21th of march this year just after treatment for a pyelonephritis due to e-coli. they did a cd-4 count (forgot the vl)cd-4 was 370 at that time.six weeks later i'had my first appointment with my aids specialist my vl was 7200 and cd-4 jumped to 730.now my question: the low first measurment could that be due to the pyelonephritis ?? so my nadir is 730 instead of 370?? i'm not on any med's yet, very healty and all the bloodwork is ok accept of the platelets the've increased till 71 now, my general fysisian told me i could wait an mention it to my aidsdokter wich i see late september,is trombopaenie one of the effects that hiv can course on its one ??thanks for your time and forum i visit it daily, sincerely yours and many regards from holland

Thanks for your question; the formal answer to your question is that your nadir is the 370 measurement; however, you had a concurrent illness at that time; the kidney infection that you were having then undoubtedly affected the CD4 count determination.

Hence, it would seem reasonable, particularly in light of the fact that you were not receiving medications for HIV, to consider the 730 measurement as your true nadir. It might be interesting to compare your CD4 percentages between the two points in time too; you might expect that they are more similar than the absolute numbers.

hope this helps, BY

Tcell counts
Sustiva and time-zone changes