Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Videx EC - a tip for users
Jul 12, 2001

Dear Doctor, I have noticed a lot of questions about taking Videx EC (enteric coated) and would like to pass on a little tip of mine for making sure its taken two hours either side of food. What I do is - before I got to bed at night I leave the pill and a glass of water beside my bed and then set a very quiet alarm clock (the alarm on a cell fone is ideal) for 2 hours BEFORE I'm due to get up. When this quiet alarm goes off, I take the pill and then its back to the land of slumber for another two blissful hours. This means there are no uncomfortable waiting periods without coffee or tea or breakfast. And if anyone is worried about getting back to sleep after taking the morning pill, believe me, it becomes such a ritual that you dont even notice. In fact, its an idea to leave out only one pill at nite (i.e., use a scissors and cut it out of the pack) because you get so used to doing this that if you leave the pack out some mornings you are unsure if you took it or not - and we don't wanna overdose now do we??!!?? Keep up the good work and stay well everyone. love from Cormac in Dublin, Ireland (yes we do have HIV here too!!)

Response from Dr. Boyle

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure everyone wants to wake up in the middle of the night to take a pill, but it is certainly a good idea for some. How about taking it right at bedtime instead (so long as you don't have a midnight snack) or right when you get up in the morning (before you shower, etc.)? Different times will work for different people and each person should find the time slot that works best for them.

Previous
One tablet sustiva?
Next
Taking all together

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.