adherence problem

Your forums are an incredible help; thanks!

I am in my 8th year of infection, and have been on meds for six of those years. I have been on various regimes throughout that time and am presently taking Agenerase, Sustiva, Ziagen, and Norvir, in addition to Bactrim, Zoloft, Lipitor, as well as selenium, 2 multi-vitamins and B-complex. My last viral load was 58 and my CD4 abt. 270, and other than a bout of cryptosporidium I've been fairly healthy.

I always found the pill taking fairly easy and routine---I never had any problem with adherence until the liquid Norvir fiasco--I found it impossible to take, and my provider dropped it until the capsules were reformulated. But I was left with an overwhelming sense of the toxicity of all these drugs Now I find it a real effort to take my meds. Swallowing them is increasingly difficult, and the general malaise and bloating I feel when adequately medicated makes me feel awful. I feel worse than I have ever felt, and the guilt of non-adherence increases my discomfort.

I'm wondering if hypnosis might be answer. Have you heard of anyone using hypnotherapy to help with adherence, stress management, and general attitude? I've found nothing on the subject, and am very concerned.

Thanks so much for your valuable service.

I have not seen much on that but will keep my eyes and ears open since that could be helpful. I have many of my patients on regimens such as yours so I can relate to your story. I assume that your hormone levels are OK, that your nutrition is good, that you are exercising, and have been evaluated for depression (which is common in your situation)? A good self-help book to try to understand some of your complains is Healing HIV by Jon Kaiser. Keith Henry, M.D.

urithritis (sp)
What are the side effects of AZT drug.