Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Low White blood cells

I am in acute HIV infection and my CD-4 count is currently at ~450. I have a low overall white blood count so my CD-4 percentages are actually in the average range. What does this mean? If my white cells bounce back, will my CD-4s bounce back as well? Could the low white blood cell count be because of HIV?

Response from Dr. Aberg

There are many reasons why one can have a low blood count. Without knowing what your blood count is,it is very difficult for me to give any opinions. It is true that when someone has a low total white blood count that the total CD4 count will be lower than it is. We see this particularly in the setting of drug-induiced bone marrow suppression. Nevertheless a CD4 count of 450 is pretty good and in fact, may even fall within the normal range of someone who does not have HIV. In acute HIV, the CD4 count may fluctuate but it should stabilize within a few weeks to months. In any acute viral infection, the white count may be transiently low. You did not state whether or not you started HIV therapy. This also can cause your counts to change. If you still have questions, send more details.

High Dose Kaletra
Undetectable VL and HIV Antibody Test