High Dose Kaletra

I have 2 questions for you: 1. If a person is resistant to Kaletra, Can that person over come the resistance by increasing the dose to 4 a day (that is what my Dr. wants me to do)? 2. Also have you heard about using oral Valtrex for CMV retinitis? Thanks,

Response from Dr. Aberg

1. The reason for increasing the Kaletra dose to 4 tablets twice a day is because you may be taking a medication that interacts with Kaletra (can cause the Kaletra levels to be too low). It is recommended that you take 4 Kaletra tablets when you take a non-nucleoside such as efavirenz (Sustiva) or nevirapine (Viramune) or when you combine it with another protease inhibitor such as amprenavir (Agenerase). Taking 4 tablets of Kaletra in the setting of a resistant virus probably won't help much if you have that much resistance already.

2. I think you mean valganciclovir. It is a new formulation of ganciclovir for treating CMV. You do not have to take as many pills and it gets higher blood levels than oral ganciclovir. The pill form of valganciclovir can achieve about the same blood levels of the intravenous (IV) form of ganciclovir. Remember it still is a form of ganciclovir so it has the same side effects such as lowering your blood count.

Ozone Therapy
Low White blood cells