on viracept, 3tc and zerit, change to trizivir

I've been on viracept, 3tc and zerit for 3 years. Cd4 went up from 250 to 350, viral load always suppressed, cholesterol sightly up. Tired with eternal diarrea. Want to switch to trizivir. What do you think? what side effects do i have to count with?

Response from Dr. Boyle

Some switch studies indicate that this change is OK, but I would only consider it if (1) your viral load was less than 100,000 copies/mL at baseline and is less than 50 copies/mL on the current regimen and (2) you have never been on AZT. In general, until studies clearly establish that Trizivir is as potent as other possible regimens (and several studies, including ACTG 5095, are evaluating this) and effective in patients with high viral loads, I prefer to combine Trizivir with another agent, usually a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (e.g., Sustiva/Stocrin). This maintains the simplicity and low toxicity of the regimen, but is likely to boost potency and durability significantly. Regarding potential side effects, Trizivir contains AZT (Retrovir, zidovudine), 3TC (Epivir, lamivudine), abacavir (Ziagen) and the main side effects are the usual AZT side effects (headache, nausea, muscle aches, anemia, flu-like syndrome, etc.) and the possibility of a hypersensitivity reaction with abacavir (read the abacavir warning card).

Stopping Medications
One tablet sustiva?