How strict is Viracept dosing schedule?

I just changed my PI from [crix, 3tc, d4t] to [viracept, 3tc, d4t] prior to developing resistant to crix--for convenience only. I don't know if the year and a half I've been on crix has made me into a masochist, or I'm just paranoid, but the rules for taking Viracept seem awfully loose. If I continue to maintain a strict eight hour dosing schedule on viracept, will I lessen my chances of becoming resistant? And why doesn't this text box have word-wrap? Thanks for providing a great service!

Response from Dr. Cohen

Viracept doesn't need to be taken exactly every 8 hours. On the other hand, I've heard of people taking it at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and letting 12 to 13 hours go by between the evening and morning doses. That's not using good sense-- after all, if you could take it every twelve hours, it would be a twice a day drug. (Maybe someday it will be, but right now, it's not.) I tell people to take Viracept every 8 hours, give or take an hour or two.

As for your last question, I'll have to leave that for the folks at the Body. I've never actually seen the text box you're referring to, so I can't answer your question.

Adjusting dosages
A possible side effects of protease inhibitors is diabetes