Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

How strict is Viracept dosing schedule?
Jun 26, 1997

I just changed my PI from [crix, 3tc, d4t] to [viracept, 3tc, d4t] prior to developing resistant to crix--for convenience only. I don't know if the year and a half I've been on crix has made me into a masochist, or I'm just paranoid, but the rules for taking Viracept seem awfully loose. If I continue to maintain a strict eight hour dosing schedule on viracept, will I lessen my chances of becoming resistant? And why doesn't this text box have word-wrap? Thanks for providing a great service!

Response from Dr. Cohen

Viracept doesn't need to be taken exactly every 8 hours. On the other hand, I've heard of people taking it at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and letting 12 to 13 hours go by between the evening and morning doses. That's not using good sense-- after all, if you could take it every twelve hours, it would be a twice a day drug. (Maybe someday it will be, but right now, it's not.) I tell people to take Viracept every 8 hours, give or take an hour or two.

As for your last question, I'll have to leave that for the folks at the Body. I've never actually seen the text box you're referring to, so I can't answer your question.

Previous
Adjusting dosages
Next
A possible side effects of protease inhibitors is diabetes

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.