Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Crixivan drug intake regime/timing concern
Jul 22, 1997

I am on a 4 drug combo Crix/d4t/ddi/3tc I actually love this combo in comparison to food intake routines. Empty stomach and slam a glass of water down at 6 a.m. or whatever. My 6:15 a.m and 2:15 a.m. Crixivan is taken without fail and on time. Totally empty stomach, all night or at least three hours (finish eating at 11 a.m.). Being in the drug "closet" I am often under pressure to take a desert or some piece of food, dinner parties, life in general, that sometimes disturbs my 10:15 pill. I do control it so that I am not out by more than one hour. I hate waiting for 11:15 as it scares the hell out of me. I would say I hit the 10:15 mark 80% of the time. Which is worse, taking the pill, say, one hour, to one and one half hour after meal, or holding out for the solid two hour empty stomach moment? I have been opting for the solid empty stomach to date? I wish I could always hit the 10:15 but what would you suggest when life gets in the way like this?

Response from Dr. Cohen

I wish I knew the answer. It probably depends a little on the content of your last meal. If it was a heavy, fatty meal I'd opt for waiting the full two hours. If, on the other hand, it was a light low-fat meal, you might rush it a bit in order to be on time. If this becomes a big problem, consider a different protease inhibitor that isn't quite so demanding.

Previous
CRIX BELLY De-Mystified?
Next
SO IM BLOATED...NOW WHAT?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.