False cure claims

I see an awfully lot of false claims of "the cure" out there when I surf the web and I'm just wondering how I would know the real thing if I ever saw that first glimmer of hope. How and who substanciates or disproves someone who thinks they have a cure? Thialand's V-1 has me just wondering. Thanks for a wonderful site! Suzan

Response from Dr. Pavia

Suzan,

Great question. While the scientific community can sometimes seem stodgy, and even slow to accept some out of the box thinking, there are some ideas from science that every person should apply.

Anything that actually works should stand up to very rigorous testing, compared to gold standards, and done in a way that the investigators can't fool themselves into thinking they see the result they want. "We have cured 15 people in a row" doesn't cut it as proof.

It should be reproducible. That is, it should work in the hands of skeptics and believers alike.

It should fit scientific principles. For instance, ozone doesn't kill viruses, although it does kill bacteria. Despite this, many ozone cures keep popping up. All are frauds.

Check the sources. If it appears in the New York Times, someone has done a lot of digging and cross checking. If you see it on an internet site, buyer beware.

Lastly, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Hopefully, there are enough scientists willing to see if off beat but good ideas actually work, so if a dramatic treatment comes to us from an unusual source, the "establishment" will give it a chance.

That's my two cents worth on your question. Hope it helps

ATP

cure for aids
new therapy