What does taking food with Viracept do?

Hi Doc, Some of your other readers have asked about the amount of food they should be taking with Viracept.With the three-times-a-day routine, I end up snacking (meaning an apple or a rice cake) on the two later pill times,because the second round falls between meals and the third falls at bedtime.I'm just not that hungry at those times. I might be a little more motivated if I knew WHY food should be taken with the drug.I think some drugs bond to the fatty acids in food to distribute themselves, right? Does Viracept need food to increase its' efficacy, or is the food intended to buffer the stomach? I also wanted to say thanks for answering an earlier question I had. I had misread the dosing on my Viracept,and fortunately, you questioned what I wrote, causing me to read the label again. I was only 3 days into the regimen, so, THANKS! While three Viracepts a day was a lot easier on my stomach,I don't want to give those little #%$&*#! any more chance to mutate than I have to.

Response from Dr. Cohen

The reason for taking food with Viracept (nelfinavir) is not to decrease side effects, as it is with Norvir (ritonavir), but to enhance absorption. While I can't say how much food is enough, it's my guess that an apple or a rice-cake might be a little too frugal.

Glad to hear you caught your error in time!

Saquinavir/Ritonavir/D4T absorption
Crixivan TIME LIMITS