Protease and natural information?

I have two very dear friends of mine who are affected by AIDS/HIV. I was looking for information on the protease inhibitors and also lookings for any vitamin and mineral or natural (herbs, minerals, etc.) that have been found helpful in either treatment of the disease or perhaps to lessen the side effects of AZT and/or the protease inhibitors. There is so much "stuff" to read and I am very confused as to who and what TO believe

Response from Dr. Cohen

There is a lot of information on protease inhibitors and other antiretroviral therapy here on The Body. I've answered a lot of questions about them here in this space, too.

As for "natural" therapies, I will admit that I don't keep up on that area. Unfortunately, there is little research done on alternative therapies, but now that highly effective drug therapy is available which results in reduction in viral load of 99% to 99.9%, I think that interest in these therapies is diminishing somewhat. Certainly, it's hard to imagine any herbal therapy coming close to the protease inhibitors in terms of antiretroviral effect. That doesn't mean that there may not be some benefit from them in combination with drug therapy, but there's really no good data that would tell you which to take and which to avoid.

I know of no alternative therapies that would diminish side effects from drug therapy.

AIDS TREATMENT?
Extention of ACEMANNAN research