Homeopathic Treatment?

My best friend has only been recently diagnosed as being HIV positive, but he is already being affected by the virus. He got his bloodwork back, and his viral count is at 136,000 (very high). He is determined to go the homeopathic route, but I think that this is a mistake I'm not a big believer in this type of "medicine," and the way I see it is that there is not enough experience or research in this "field" for them to be dealing with HIV. Also, new drugs can bring the viral counts down to undetectable levels. I'm wondering if there is anything that has really shown results with homeopathic medicine, and also, if these new western drugs are started now, will they be less effective in the future? Your advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. :-)

Response from Dr. Cohen

When it comes to HIV treatment, it's pretty clear these days what qualifies as success and what doesn't. A treatment that reduces your viral load to undetectable levels and keeps it there is successful. While I'm no expert on homeopathy, I think I would have heard about it if there were homeopathic remedies that were capable of such a feat.

I would advise your friend to use homeopathy only in conjunction with proven therapy. If he doesn't like that idea, then I would suggest that he give homeopathy a chance for a short time, holding it up to the same scrutiny that he would use for anything else. If he were taking standard therapy, his viral load should have dropped by 2 logs (to about 1,000) within 2 to 4 weeks, and it should be undetectable by 12 to 16 weeks at the longest. If he wants to give homeopathic remedies a chance, fine. But if they can't meet that standard then he ought to move on to something with a better track record.

Saint John's Wort for depression - interaction with HIV meds?
milk thistle?