Trizivir......promosing results!

I was diagnosed HIV+ in fall of 1997 with a VL of 150,000 and CD4 of 1,000. In spring of 1998 started Combivir and Viracept. I stayed on this treatment until June 2001. VL went to undectable immediately after initial treatment and CD has remained fairly constant between 750-950. I have now switched to Trizivir. So far so good!!! The easy dosing schedule and only taking 2 pills a day are a major relief (not to mention the emlimination of diarreha)

From your work...are patients successful with this new med?? The phamplet can scare ya a bit but my doctor and I have a very good rapport and I trust her fully. Just wondering what your experiences have been with this med?

Thanks for all you do!

Response from Dr. Boyle

Some "switch" studies support Trizivir use in this situation, however, the durability of this regimen is uncertain, especially if your longstanding use of combivir led to any underlying resistance to 3TC or AZT. I generally prefer to combine Tizivir with a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor to give it a litle more potency and durability; however, if your viral load is less than 50 copies/mL and your CD4 count is stable, given your tolerance of Trizivir I would continue you on it, but would change very quickly at the slightest sign of any resistance to that regimen emerging. If patients stay on Trizivir after they start to break through virologically, additional resistance mutations can rapidly accumulate and this may affect future treatment options. Good luck!

waiting after DDI
videx 2 hours after meal