Timing of taking drugs/ Crix + Rit.

I was taking Combivir and Indinavir however recently added Ritonavir so I could eat with my meds. I'm now taking Combivir+Indinavir 800mg+Ritonavir 200mg twice a day. I heard that the drug levels are better doing this than what I was doing before. My Question: With taking Combivir+Indinavir 800mg+Ritonavir 200mg twice a day do I have to stick to a every 12 hr dosing or can I take it plus/minus 1-2 hrs around the time I'm suppose to take the drugs.

Response from Dr. Stryker

You are right -- the blood levels of Crixivan are much higher, (though still variable from patient to patient) on your new double-protease combo. This provides an added margin of coverage against the virus at the end of the dosing interval (ie, just before each dose). This allows you to eat with the meds, and should also be more forgiving of the occasional late dose.

In general, try to stick with every 12 hours, but being early or late an hour or two isn't likely to be a big concern at this point. The key, of course, is just take the meds! best of luck.

Rick Stryker, M.D., M.P.H.

Med or not to med
INTERLEUKIN PLUS ANTIVIRAL TREATMENTS DOES IT REALLY WORK?