genvoya switch to truvada

Dear Doctor Young, I have been taking Genvoya for about 2 years. I wonder if I could switch Genvoya to Truvada, since it is much easier and more affordable for me to get truvada now. thanks.

Hello and thanks for posting.

While tenofovir and emtricitabine are in both Truvada and Genovya, Truvada alone is not a complete regimen for the treatment of HIV infection.

You could take Truvada with an integrase inhibitor (to substitute for the elvitegravir/cobicistat in Genvoya) such as raltegeravir (Isentress, Isentress HD) or dolutegravir (Tivicay).

If you're having difficulty paying for your medications, before switching (or even afterwards), it's good to check with the manufacturer's website for patient assistance programs. In most cases, significant annual copayment or coinsurance assistance exists. I'd also suggest speaking to your care provider or case manager to inform them of your financial challenges.

I hope that's helpful, BY

Urine test
10 Words or Less